Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Provision for my Sudanese Brother

*As you read this, please prayerfully consider providing for this request on behalf of my Sudanese brother Joshua



The day after Thanksgiving, I received an urgent email from my Colleen who is serving as a missionary in Nagishot. William and Eunice's son Joshua, who lives with them on the compound and suffers from Epilepsy and Schizophrenic episodes, had an accident the day after Thanksgiving and accidentally drank battery acid that was lying around the compound. He immediately threw it up, burning this mouth and throat. Eunice treated him immediately, having him drink lots of milk, water, and eggs throughout the day. You can assume how dangerous this is, and as Joshua began to urinate the acid out, it literally burned holes through his underwear and pants.

As Colleen corresponded with a doctor in the states about the incident, he told her to seek serious medical attention for Joshua as soon as possible, seeing as his chance of surviving this in the states would be low, much less in a remote African village. For weeks we have prayed for sweet Joshua, and the Lord has provided along the way. I can now report that Joshua is recovering at a hospital in Kampala, surrounded by his family and in good hands medically. We are still waiting to hear back from the test results that will determine what long term damage Joshua has suffered from this. We at least know from an X-Ray that there appears to be a hole in his stomach from the acid.

Many have joined us in prayer for Joshua, William, Eunice, and their entire family. Joshua brings a smile to my face every time I think of him. Since the first time I met him he has reminded me of Boo Radley from "To Kill a Mockingbird," my favorite book. He is a gentle giant, and a gift from God. His spirit is so in tuned with that land, and William and Eunice believe this is why God has chosen to use his illnesses in the way he has, because it brings much reliance on HIM and glory to HIS name. The Laku's are relying on God's provision again in this, as they wonder how they will cover the medical expenses. The Laku's are missionaries in Nagishot. Even though they are both Sudanese, they gave up wealth and much prosperity to answer God's call to the Didinga, an unreached people group. I am so passionate that it is in these times when we are HONORED and PRIVILEGED to serve such heroes of the faith with our finances. Truly, truly, I know no two people in this world whom I believe in the mission of God more because of the example they set. Below is information on how you can donate to Joshua's medical fund. Every little bit counts. Even giving up the price of a Starbuck's for today would help tremendously. Even though I don't know the total needed yet to cover the costs, I can at least tell you that the plane ride out of Nagishot was $1200, and this needs to be covered ASAP. Please join me in providing for our family in Christ:

For online giving:
https://my.efca.org/NetCommunity/SSLPage.aspx?pid=359
Designation: Sudan Field Ministries #22059-011
Tribute information: NAME: Joshua Laku; DESCRIPTION: Medical fund for Joshua Laku

To mail a check:
Make checks out to EFCA Reach Global
Please put project # 22059-011 in the memo line
Mail to:
EFCA Reach Global
901 East 78th St.
Minneapolis, MN 55420

2 comments:

Ritz said...

Thank you so much for sharing, Jackie. I'm glad to have to opportunity to help!

Jackie Renee said...

Thank you sister, reminded of how much of a blessing you are to me after your words today. LOVE.